Online Marketing has become one of the tools to drive traffic, generate leads that will eventually bring about conversions/sales for business owners and other corporate bodies.
In this article, I will be showing extensively how one of the methods of marketing online which is Email Marketing can bring about conversions. The first question that comes to mind is what is email marketing?
WHAT IS EMAIL MARKETING?
Email marketing is a process of promoting business by sending emails and newsletter.
This stands to be one the effective channels of marketing in order to drive sales and generate revenues for your business.
WHY EMAIL MARKETING?
Email is a tool that nearly everyone uses today, and it continues to grow and be more prevalent in the lives of people around the world. The points below are reasons you should use email marketing for your business:
- Marketers who are good at email marketing can connect with their customers in a highly targeted way.
- No marketing Channel has the longevity of email marketing.
- It’s easy to customize and integrate into other marketing tactics.
- Email marketing is inexpensive. Marketers can connect with their audience in a personalized way, while staying on budget.
- They will be successful in delivering ROI and revenue back to the business.
How Email Marketing works
To start email marketing, you need to have a mailing list which messages will be sent to after which you subscribe to an email marketing hosting company and the setup begins. Now am going to take this one after the other for clarity.
A. Collection of Emails: this is the very first and important task to be done while starting an email marketing. This can be done in various ways
- Get addresses from friends, family, colleagues and clients who believes and like what you are doing.
- Create multiple call-to-action (CTA) form on your website/blog pages. CTA are the final instruction you give to your readers and defines the action your subscriber is to take after they open up your email, examples of the actions are Learn More, Read More, Signup, Subscribe.
There might be a signup in a popover, a signup at the top of a blog post, another one at the bottom. the design assumes that people will view the site differently and that in order to maximize the chances that a potential subscriber sees a signup form you’d best put sign up forms everywhere.
But mind you, your site has to content rich to attract more readers that will want to getter your newsletter often in their inbox.
If you have a website/blog and you are yet to get a signup form for your page, go to Subscribers and is a free tool.
- You can also get email addresses from social media platforms
- Formatting and Validation of Mailing List: This is done after collecting email addresses that make up your mailing list. It helps to clean your list from incorrect email that is either wrongly spelt or no longer exist. This is very important part in email marketing to avoid being marked as a spammer or be blacklisted when your sent emails always bounce back.
This check is advised to be done time to time, as email addresses tends to deactivated at some time.
Meanwhile, some email marketing service providers like MAILCHIMP, AWEBER validates addresses automatically for their clients. You may not need to validate your mailing list if you using the above mentioned Email marketing service providers.
2. A Catchy and Personalized Email subject is the key
In this era of digital drive, where emails come in like every second. The subject of an email determines the rate at which it will be opened. In respective of your great content, if not opened is a waste and I know you won’t it. As a marketer, let your subjects always be catchy and personalised and also should not be more than 10 words.
Personalising an email subject for example ‘Helen, you got to see this’ will make the recipient feel recognized and also important. This is because so many people regard emails from unknown sources as spam and I know you won’t want your email to be regarded as such.
B. Create a Remarkable Email Content
You need to have a top quality content for your emails, this will eventually make your subscribers look forward to your mails. Add pictures or videos where applicable to bring out your message.
You can hire a copywriter to always create content for you if you don’t know how to do so.
In email marketing, your content can be presented in HTML version and Plain-text version.
i. Html Email
HTML emails are the email where you can make design and insert pictures on the body of the letter. You can even add the CTA button to redirect your readers to your website/blog. HTML emails has decreased open rates and if there are some broken tags in your HTML, the email provider and users can mark it as spam.
The best for a rich email is to have fewer HTML elements and plain-text.
ii. Plain-Text Version
Plain text email seems easier to create when compared to HTML email since it requires just text. A recent research shows that plain text emails have 25% open rate than that of HTML. And also about 21% click rate than HTML email.
let me give you a scenario that will show you what personalised email does to readers.
Imagine I walked into a restaurant for the first time and the waiter comes to where I am seated and said Mrs Helen, what would you like to be served? First there will be this attraction to him from me and It will also make me feel at home a bit.
The above reaction is exactly what you get from your readers when you personalise your emails. This will also move the person to read the mail and even click on the CTA buttons that leads to your website/blog.
Email marketing can be sent in different forms, in form of announcement, newsletter, events and any other information you want to pass across.
This is the last form of communication you to offer your readers. A good email signature should be simple, informative and professional, that doesn’t mean it should dull and boring. Below are examples of how a good signature should be
- Don’t Include Too Much Information.
- Keep Your Color Palette Small.
- Keep Your Font Palette Even Smaller.
- Give your email signature format some style.
- Add your company logo/photo to your email signature.
- Always use the ALT tag, when adding an image to your signature.
- Make it Mobile friendly.
- Make sure contact details are up to date.
- Use Social Media Icons to Drive Traffic.
- Use a different email signature for your replies and forwards.
- Give your email signature format as much thought as a marketing campaign.
- Add your latest marketing content to your email signature.
Your email signature should look like this